I love lemon. It makes me happy. It makes me think of spring in the midst of these dreary February days. It’s fresh, zesty and blends wonderfully with sweet and savory ingredients!
I also love rice. I think rice was the main staple of my diet in college. I’ve come a long since my days of Minute Rice with butter and salt at the University of Maryland College Park. Now I whip up fancy rice salads like this one which combines two of my favorite things!
This salad has no oil so it stays low-fat and is perfect served on a bed of greens. I used Jasmine Rice for the nutty flavor that it offers, but you can sub other rice types. Just remember that the Instant Pot cooking times in the recipe below are specific to Jasmine Rice. If you change it, then you need to cook the rice you choose to the proper times in the Instant Pot.
Check out a video on how to make this rice salad here and don’t forget to subscribe!
Dressing for this salad adapted from Ordinary Vegan
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 TBSP garlic minced
- 1/4 inch knob ginger 1/2 tsp ground ginger can be subbed
- 2.5 TBSP Maple Syrup
- 1 TBSP dijon mustard
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup Celery diced
- 1 cup peas frozen
- 1 cup Dried Cranberries
- 1/2 cup Pecan Pieces roasted
- 1/4 cup Cilantro or Parsley chopped (optional)
For the dressing:
For the salad:
- Rinse and drain rice. Combine rice, water, and salt in Instant Pot. Set pot to 3 min high pressure. Allow pressure to release naturally for ten minutes.
- While rice is cooking, combine all ingredients in high-powered blender. Blend until smooth. Set aside.
- In a heated frying pan, lightly toast pecans over medium heat.
- When rice is finished, pour into large salad bowl and allow to cool for ten minutes.
- Add dressing and all other ingredients. Stir until all ingredients are evenly combined.
- Serve warm or cold. Perfect over a bed of greens!