I’m on a mission to use as my Instant Pot as much as possible in preparing for holiday meals. I have two, after all, and they are just plain fun. I’m also on a mission not to use ANY white sugar or grains in the dishes I prepare for the family. I don’t expect everyone to eat healthy, but I’m going to do my part to offer more nutritious options. And, before you say it, yes, I do know that honey and maple syrup still have a high natural sugar and carb content. This should be considered a Paleo treat. We gotta live a little, right?
Before you tackle making your own cranberry sauce, I need to remind you of something. Cranberries are tart. Like, really, really tart. When you open a can of cranberry sauce and throw it on your Thanksgiving table, it is going to be loaded with refined sugar and have a different flavor than a homemade version. A homemade version like mine uses natural sweeteners like maple syrup and honey, and the natural flavor of the cranberry is a bit more prevalent. I want to remind you of that so you don’t taste it and then freak out on me. When you stop using white sugar in your cooking, it’s crazy how different food starts to taste. It seems like there is so much sugar in everything that it’s all we end up wanting to taste. After cutting it out for the last couple months, I’m finding my taste buds are changing and I’m enjoying the actual taste of the food I’m preparing.
If you do find the tartness to be too over-the-top, I included ways to tone it down. An additional tablespoon of honey or maple syrup, or some additional orange juice can really help. I will say that I made this for my son’s Thanksgiving program and I left with an empty bowl. So, that’s a good sign!
Here is a video to show you how I did it!
- 8 oz Cranberries fresh
- 1 Honeycrisp Apple
- 1 Orange for zest and juice
- 1/4 cup Maple Syrup plus 1 TBSP (optional)
- 1/4 cup Honey
- Dash Salt
- 1/4 tsp All-spice Cinnamon can be subbed.
- Wash cranberries and pour into Instant Pot liner pot.
- Add diced Honeycrisp apple.
- Add maple syrup.
- Zest orange peel, roughly 1-2 tsp of zest.
- Squeeze juice from orange over cranberries and apples.
- Stir well.
- Place lid on Instant Pot and turn vent to Sealing. Set pot to 2 min high pressure, and allow pressure to release for 5 minutes before releasing the remaining pressure.
- Stir to break up cranberries and fruit a bit.
- Transfer into blender.
- Add honey, dash of salt, and All-Spice seasoning.
- Pulse to blend to desired texture.
- Taste to determine if additional sweetner is needed to tone down tartness. Add one tablespoon of maple syrup and pulse. You can also tone down tartness by adding additional orange juice or honey.
- Serve along side a savory cut of meat, and enjoy!