Pasta with white beans is a recipe has appeared on my menu a couple times over the last few weeks. I made the Red, White and Green Pasta from The Simple Vegan Cookbook and loved it. Then, my weekly order from My Veggie Chef had a very similar dish. Both times my family really liked it, so I knew I had to create my own recipe for the Instant Pot. I think I came up with something very special with this recipe! It is low in fat, vegetarian, and delicious!
The sky is the limit on how you can improvise with this recipe. Add some chicken or sausage if you eat meat. Add some feta if you eat cheese. Add olives and pine nuts to make it even more Mediterranean. Switch out the spinach with argula or kale. You do you, and make this dish your own. I do recommend using the sun-dried tomatoes and artichokes that are soaked in oil. It gives the pasta great flavor! If you opt for ones that are not soaked, you may need tom compensate with additional spices. Remember, any change in the recipe that you make can affect the outcome. The directions are for white penne pasta. If you change the pasta, you may need to research to see how that changes cooking times.
Check out how to make this recipe here on my youtube channel:
- 1/2 Onion, medium size diced
- 1 TBSP minced garlic
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
- 1 16 oz box Penne Pasta
- 4 cups Water
- 5 sun-dried tomatoes, chopped choose the kind soaked oil
- 1/2 cup chopped artichokes, chopped choose the kind soaked in oil
- 1 14oz can White Beans drained and rinsed
- 3 cups spinach raw
- Set pot to saute.
- Add onions with a splash of water and saute for one minute.
- Add minced garlic and continue to saute. Add more water if it starts to stick.
- Add all spices and saute another minute.
- Turn pot off.
- Add pasta and 4 cups water. Stir to combine onion mix with pasta and water.
- Add artichokes and sun-dried tomatoes on top, but do not stir.
- Replace lid on Instant Pot and turn valve to sealing.
- Set pot to 4 minutes manual high pressure.
- When the timer goes off, use a quick release to release pressure.
- Turn pot off.
- When pressure is fully released, remove lid and stir thoroughly.
- Drain and rinse white beans. Stir into pasta.
- Stir spinach into pasta.
- You may opt to top with feta cheese, pine nuts, olive or a squeeze of lemon.
- Serve, and enjoy!