I’m off the grains again. This time it wasn’t by choice. The new fitness program that I’m doing cuts out all grains on the third week. As I’m writing this, I’m on Day 20 and tomorrow is the last day. My results are pretty stunning. The best side effect is that this meal plan has been terrific for my husband’s struggle with Ulerative Colitis. When I told him that tomorrow is the last day of the program, he was practically begging me not to go back to cooking with grains again.
But. There is always a “but.”
Cutting grains ain’t easy, honey! I needed something that felt like a “cheat.” Since I just got a brand spankin’ new Power XL Air Fryer, I was anxious to “fry” something. I happened to have quite a lot of Tapioca Starch from when I was doing the Paleo(ish) diet earlier this year. So, I thought I would give it a shot as a breading for fried chicken thighs. The results were off the hook! In 20 minutes, I had perfectly fried and crispy chicken thighs.
A couple things…
I have kind of given up on dragging out my pro camera for my food blog posts. I know that sounds lazy, but my life is nuts and I don’t have time to edit a ton of photos. To be honest, I don’t even really have time to take good photos on my phone. Until I find more time, I am giving the world my crap-tastic iPhone photos. I have been finding myself ditching blog posts because of the anxiety associated with editing all the food pics. Therefore, I’m choosing posting more often over pretty photos!
Secondly, when I cook, I tend to do pinches of this and that instead of measuring everything out exactly. Feel free to leave your measuring spoons in the drawer and grab a pinch or two of these spices. Do what’s easy for you! You can also add seasonings that you personally love to the mixture. Don’t love turmeric, but love Old Bay? Do what floats your boat.
Please note this post contains Amazon affiliate links that help support this blog. If you purchase using my links, you help me keep this blog alive! My opinions are my own and I have no sponsorships whatsoever.
- 3/4 cup Tapioca Starch
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt plus a dusting for chicken
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper plus a dusting for chicken
- 1/4 teaspoon tumeric (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 lbs Chicken Thighs (boneless) (approximately 6 thighs)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil (or cooking oil of your choice) Use an oil mister (important)
- Combine Tapioca Starch and all seasoning in a bowl and whisk well.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Add each chicken thigh individually in the flour mixture until completed covered.
- Rub a small amount of oil on the bottom of your fryer basket to help prevent sticking. Place all chicken thighs into fryer basket in one layer. Mist the tops of the chicken thigh with olive oil using the oil mister. Push in fryer drawer.
- Push fryer power button and press M and move to Chicken setting. It should go to 400. Set timer to 20 minutes. Flip the chicken every five minutes. Each time after you flip, dust with the leftover flour mixture. The first time you flip, mist with oil. You do not need to add any additional oil after this, but do add the dusting of flour (as shown here).
- When the timer goes off, check the temperature of your thighs and make sure it is 160 degrees.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
I’m an air fryer newbie, so many thanks for a really easy-to-follow and tasty recipe!